09 July 2012

Artist Spotlight: Aaron Straup Cope













The other day, while I was browsing 20x200, for artistic inspiration, I came across the gorgeous prettymaps print series of world cities, including Paris, Amsterdam, and Chicago, by Canadian artist Aaron Straup Cope

I love the vibrant colours used in these digital prints. They make me think of flying over a city, while wearing rose-coloured glasses, like a dreamy take on something normally more technical and factual. The artist's statement says "I’d like to generate map tiles that give you that same dizzy feeling you get when you look down at a city at night, from an airplane." Yes, indeed. Dizzying--in a good way.

{to see more of the artist's work, go here and here}

3 comments:

Gild and Grace said...

These are great! I love all those bright colours :)

Abbey x

michele said...

omg i love these. it's simple: pretty maps. but it's got layers of meaning.

thanks for the intro.

michele

lamb and blonde said...

So glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for dropping by!